Hi, I’m Leisa, co-founder and CEO of triplethegift.com. My other co-founders are my favorite (and only) sister Jen and my very good friend Andrea. Andrea and I are both working mom’s looking for the “there has got to be a better way” solution. We both work from home and we both are very involved in our children’s lives. Life is complicated. Everything takes three times as long to do when you have kids so we have to do things better. With these thoughts in mind, we created TripleTheGift, an online gift registry for children.
When you have kids, very early on you realize that “the birthday party” is no ordinary event; it is similar to a wedding. There is the theme, the party goods, the menu, the special invitations, the outfit, and of course, the perfect cake. Because our kids start preschool at age 2, they have friends. And there it begins – – a childhood full of parties. So parties fall on the “complicated list” for Andrea and me. If you have more than one child, it’s a multiple-times-per-year-complication.
I’m glad to report there has been significant progress over the last ten years (and I can vouch for that since my oldest is 13) in the party business. Now, bowling alleys and gymnasiums and other similar places offer an “all inclusive” type of party where they include invitations, goody bags and sometimes even the food. But what has not changed is the gifting process.
Take a typical conversation with invited guest (another mom or a family member):
Question: “What does your child like?”
Answer: “Everything” or “Nothing under $50”.
Question: “What does your child need?”
Answer: “Nothing, mom/dad/grandparents buys them everything they need” or, “Nothing, they have too much stuff!”
The end result? What us moms end up doing…
- Uh oh, totally forgot about the party and thinks where can I go in a two-mile radius and buy a gift?
- I’ll go stock up on gifts from the local discount store. The toys either contain 1000+ pieces smaller than a pea or crafts that take an engineer to build but at least I have an inventory when I get an invitation.
- A gift card because everyone shops at this store.
- Cold hard cash … because there is always an ATM in close proximity to the party.
Enter TripleTheGift, the online gift registry we created!! So Andrea and I, the two moms, of the business, said to each other “Let’s make this part of our lives easier.” What if we could take away all the stress that comes along with gift giving for kids? And it happens on both sides – – what to get the niece, the nephew, the neighbors’ kid OR to answering what our kids want or need to “please don’t bring another stuffed animal-lego-puzzle-etc into my house…”
So what could we all use???
- Money. Gotta have it, Gotta love it!
- College Savings. Who is on top of this? Really? Even the financial side of me can’t get enough into that savings account.
- Charity. Even though we want and we need, we are most definitely more fortunate than others and wouldn’t mind sharing with a good cause.
Three gifts. Simple.
We tell family and friends that the kids are registered at triplethegift.com. They look up the registry on the website and in less than 5 minutes, make a gift of whatever dollar amount they want. The kid gets three gifts –a gift card to purchase that perfect gift, a contribution to their college savings plan, and a donation to a charity of their choice on their behalf.
It’s stress free; no worries on either side; no driving to the mall or to the post office. It fits into our solution to “there has got to be a better way”. Make it fit into yours!
I hope this gives you some insight into our make-it-better-less-complicated way of thinking. Lots more to come!